Hooked on Books at Museum Experience – Zone 4
Saturday, Sep. 24, 2016
Let’s get on the same page! Literacy is important. The Children’s Museum of Houston is looking to get kids hooked on books all year long with the launch of the “Read Strong All Year Long” campaign. This initiative aims to get kids to read by engaging them in interactive literacy-related activities at the Museum.
The “Read Strong All Year Long” campaign will kick off with the “Hooked on Books” event which will include story times, giveaways, performances, and more (additional events will be held throughout the year)! Former Houston Texans’ football star Wade Smith will host a special book reading and signing. Plus, the first 100 kids to mention their favorite author at the box office will receive free admission.
About the Programs & Activities
- Bookmark Giveaway: Be the first to flip the pages. First 100-kids will receive free bookmarks! 10 am at Museum entrance.
- Bayou City Book Festival: Stop by the Bayou City Book booth and enter their book drawings. Beginning at 10 am in PowerPlay Alcove.
- Hooked on Books Celebration: Join in for “Read Strong All Year Long” kick-off celebration to announce the literacy campaign, trivia questions, confetti cannon countdown, show off your best moves at the dance party, and enjoy delicious cake! Special guest includes former Houston Texans’ Wade Smith! Kickoff celebration begins at 10:30 am at Alcove.
- Wade Smith story time and book signing: 11 am in Brown Auditorium.
- Story Time: Let your imagination run wild as you become immersed in a tale of tales. 11:15 am, 1:15 pm and 3:15 pm in Parent Resource Library.
- DramaKids: Watch a live performance from the DramaKids, try on their costumes, then participate in an improv workshop as you put your acting chops to the test. 2 and 3 pm in Brown Auditorium.
- Story Prints: Etch an image inspired by your favorite book and then stamp it onto paper to create your own story print at Alexander Art Academy.
- Botanical Bookmarks: Color your own velvet art botanical bookmark for your next favorite book at EcoStation.
- Field Guide to Native Plants: Create your own book to help you identify plants commonly found in the Houston area at EcoStation.
- Wild Rumpus Hat: Become one of the wild thngs when you make this hat at Junktion.
- Winnie the Pooh Doll: Make your own Winnie the Pooh Doll to hold while you read the book at Junktion.
- Green Eggs Hat: Make a pan with green eggs out of paper plates and wear it to represent the awesome book at Junktion.
- Loom Weaving: Construct a simple loom from a cardboard square and learn to weave a book mark, coaster, or key chain at Science Station.
- LEGO Art Bots: Build a drawing robot using a motor, battery pack and LEGO parts at Inventor's Workshop.
- LEGO Mindstorms Robots: Complete a code sequence and have a robot go through a maze at Inventor's Workshop.
- DIY Pinball Game: Re-arrange the DIY parts on this pinball machine to create a new game every time you play at Inventor's Workshop.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Closed Mondays. Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter Sunday.
- General Admission: $17 per person and $16 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $8, 2 hours - $9, 3+ hours - $10. Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world