SWINE TIME WONDERWEEK
Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019 – Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019
It's time for swine! Celebrate the Lunar New Year as we kick off the Year of the Pig at the Children's Museum of Houston. Light lanterns, "hatch" dragons, and fill your year with fortune during the Swine Time WonderWeek!
WHAT'S NEW THIS WEEK?
- Plum Blossom Trees: Paint a beautiful plum blossom tree and use it as a decoration in Alexander Art Academy.
- Lunar Viewfinder: Identify phases of the moon as you create a moonfinder in EcoStation.
- The Earth and Moon's Rotation: Track the Moon's rotation around the Earth and Sun with a model in EcoStation.
- Dragon Fire Lanterns: Shine bright this Lunar New Year as you make your own traditional lanterns in Junktion.
- Chinese Character Banner: Feeling lucky? Kick off the Lunar New Year by making a lucky Chinese character banner in Junktion.
- Dragon Puppet: Make dragons dance as you "hatch" your own dragon puppets in Junktion.
- Chopsticks Game: Estimate how many pom-poms you can grab in a minute using chopsticks in Math Cart.
- New Year, New Money: Give some old pennies some new year shine as you prepare a customary Lunar New Year gift in Science Station.
- The Olfactory Knows: Play a matching game with your nose and learn the physiology behind your sniffer in Power Science Lab.
- DNA Extraction: Extract and examine DNA found in strawberries at Power Science Lab.
- Testing for Reducing Sugars: Utilize Benedict's Solution as you test to see which substance contains the most reducing sugar in Power Science Lab.
- Starch Testing: Discover the role starch plays in your diet and test for its presence in different household items at Power Science Lab.
- Laser-Cut LED Paper Lanterns: Celebrate Lunar New Year as you laser-cut your own paper lanterns in Chevron-Houston Texans Maker Annex.
- Playground Architects: Be the architect behind your very own playground, then bring it to life in Inventor's Workshop.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum of Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum of Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum of Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world