Friday, Nov. 30, 2018 – Friday, Nov. 30, 2018
From storytelling to decoration, paper is one of the most common used objects and materials found everywhere in the world. The Children's Museum of Houston is pushing the envelope and introducing the endless, three-dimensional possibilities of this revolutionary material to show its capabilities in design and engineering.
Paper Engineering tackles the quintessential question, "How can I change it?," by showing visitors how to transform a simple piece of paper into an object that flies, floats or tells a story. Origami, papel picado, cootie catchers, paper footballs, architecture models, sustainable furniture and more show how a resourceful, affordable and accessible material like paper can be developed into imaginative projects by school children and professional engineers alike!
Follow the paper trail and take on the role of an engineer to explore the properties of paper. Bring objects to life through paper transformation and unwrap the basic skills of pop-up book design in nearly a dozen interactives including:
- Play your cards right to construct the tallest playing card tower.
- Fly your paper plane above the fold through an elaborate obstacle course.
- Scrunch your paper into a ball to catapult it above and beyond and test its potential energy.
- Slice and dice paper to make shapes to be projected beyond the shadow of a doubt.
- Jump through hoops to contribute to a Trashketball paper jam.
- Give it a whirl when you test for laminar flow and discover how high you can get your paper device to fly.
- Go on a paper chase and explore turbulent flow by constructing a paper device that can hover inside a column of air.
- Let it pop up in your mind and bring your imaginings to life by learning basic pop-up card mechanisms.
- Rock-Paper-Scissors! Tear through a stack of papers to unleash unbounded creations, including cootie catchers, paper gem rings, origami and more!
Whatever blueprints you follow, it all looks good on paper!
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum of Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum of Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum of Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world