Join the Guild
Friday, May. 1, 2020 – Sunday, May. 31, 2020
Greet, Guide & Gather
Join our community of engaged volunteers who contribute their time and skills to support the visitor experience at the Rothko Chapel. Guild Members must be 18 or older and have a strong interest in the Rothko Chapel and mission. Volunteers serve 2 shifts per month for one year from September to August. Shifts range from 2 to 4 hours.
For all volunteer positions, we are seeking collaborative individuals who are committed to serving the needs of international, interfaith visitors.
Welcome House Team: Greeting Visitors
Welcome House Volunteers provide hospitality and information to visitors, and support operations in our new Welcome House. We are seeking volunteers who have:
- Experience or interest working in customer service, retail, and/or hospitality
- Availability primarily weekdays and/or weekends, shifts daily between 10am-4pm
Events Team: Gathering Communities
Event Volunteers provide support for public programs, private services, and special events. We are seeking volunteers who:
- Enjoy or excel working with crowds and in fast-paced environments
- Have experience or interest in working at events and/or in hospitality
- Are available primarily on evenings Mondays through Thursdays, 5-9:30pm. Weekday and weekend afternoon shifts are occasionally offered.
Guide Team: Facilitating the Visitor Experience
Guides provide opportunities for visitor education and engagement by leading guided visits of the Chapel. We are seeking volunteers who:
- Enjoy speaking in front of groups or want to develop these skills
- Have experience in educational settings or have served as a docent (preferred)
- Are available primarily Friday through Sunday between 11am-5pm, and occasional weekday mornings or afternoons per individual tour requests
Please note: New Guides are required to serve at least 1 year in the Welcome House, unless they have significant prior experience as a docent, leading tours, or have prior in-depth knowledge of the Rothko Chapel.
Benefits for Guild Members & Commitments from Chapel Staff
Guild Members enjoy working with a diverse, intergenerational group of passionate Chapel supporters. Volunteers participate in special educational offerings and social gatherings onsite and throughout the Houston-area. Guild also receive a discount on Chapel merchandise and invitation to an annual Recognition Celebration.
Staff offer thorough orientation and training, online access to scheduling, timely email communications, clear volunteer assignments and mentorship by experienced Guild Members for a respectful and fun volunteer environment.
How to Join
**While we are currently seeking new volunteers, due to COVID-19 concerns we will not have any in-person volunteer engagement at the Chapel until it is safe to do so.**
May 1 – Online applications open
May 14 – Online info session via Zoom - register here
May 31 – Applications due
June – Interview with Volunteer Manager & Guild Team Lead
July & August – Orientation and training shifts
September – Service begins
Apply to become a Guild Member
The online application to join our Fall 2020 - Spring 2021 season is open through Sunday, May 31, 12am. A reference will be requested. For questions, please contact email@example.com.
Please note physical demands of all volunteer positions include:
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20lbs
- Standing and sitting for extended periods of time
HOURS & ADMISSION
Monday-Sunday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Open every day of the year from 10 am - 6 pm.
Free Hours: Always free!
- Rothko Chapel is currently closed for renovations.
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Street Parking
- Visitors can use the Menil Collection parking lot located at Mulberry and West Alabama. There is also street parking available on Yupon and Sul Ross. Wheelchair access is located on Sul Ross at the north end of the Chapel.
Events at Rothko Chapel – Temporarily Closed
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world