DREAM BIG WONDERWEEK
Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020 – Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. dreamed for us to live in a world where we would “not be judged by the color of [our] skin, but by the content of [our] character.” Visit the Museum during our Dream Big WonderWeek, where Martin Luther King, Jr., is celebrated and remembered with special events and activities. Don’t forget about your own dreams!
Event time: Jan. 16-22, 2020
WHAT'S NEW THIS WEEK?
- Peace Plates: Paint a plate and display it at home as a reminder to always show kindness to others at Alexander Art Academy.
- Dream Big Mobile: Create a cloud mobile with dreams you have for yourself, your community and the world in EcoStation.
- Helping Hand Tree: Create a tree with your hand and think of ways you can use your hands to help others in EcoStation.
- Dream Clouds: Share your dreams of changing the world at Junktion.
- Peace Doves: Create a world symbol of peace at Junktion.
- Star Promise: Take the pledge to be kind and fair at Junktion.
- Sankofa Math: Choose an addition or subtraction card and solve the problem on it in Math Cart.
- Tessellations from the Heart: Grab a heart pattern, trace it and repeat the process without an gaps or overlaps in Math Cart.
- Cranberry Chemistry: Conduct an acid/base reaction and a neutralization reaction in Science Station.
- Polarizers: Change the way you see light with this colorful filter-making activity in Science Station.
- Programing with Graph Paper: Develop coding sequences to help a friend produce an image of a superhero-styled mask with graph paper in Science Station.
- Iron in Cereal: Test iron in common cereal brands and learn about the importance of iron in the human body in Power Science Lab.
- Testing for Reducing Sugars: Use Benedict's Solution to test for reducing sugar in food in Power Science Lab.
- Starch Testing: Discover the importance of starch in your diet and test for it in common household items in Power Science Lab.
- Carbohydrate Digestion: Learn about the enzyme Amalyse and learn how it breaks down starch in Power Science Lab.
- Motorized Car: Engineer fan blades and build a motorized fan-powered car in Inventor's Workshop & Maker Annex.
- Things That Fly: Become an engineer and build three different moving machines in Inventor's Maker Annex.
***Activities, events and times subject to change.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world