Saturday, Jun. 10, 2017 – Saturday, Jun. 10, 2017
03:00 PM – 04:00 PM
Join Asia Society for a docent-led tour of our current exhibitions Modern Twist: Contemporary Japanese Bamboo Art and Sangram Majumdar.
About the Exhibitions
Bamboo is characterized by strength, flexibility, and lightness—bending, not breaking, with strong winds, while enduring harsh winters. This exhibition explores the innovative shape bamboo art has taken in Japan since the mid-twentieth century. With rare wall-hung installations and sculptures never before seen in Texas, the exhibition both engages and educates audiences about a vibrant cultural art form.
Artist Sangram Majumdar approaches paintings as palimpsests, layered with a range of historical references that are lost and recovered. His work refers to the cyclical nature of history and the catalytic connections between major cultural centers in Asia and the west. Born in Kolkata, India, Majumdar lives and works in Brooklyn, New York.
About the Tour
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your tour. Groups arriving more than 15 minutes prior to scheduled start time should remain in our Grand Hall until tour staff and docents are ready. Latecomers may join the tour in progress.
- Tours last approximately 60 minutes and involve a minimal amount of walking. Wheelchair access is available throughout the building.
- Photography without flash is permitted for all current exhibitions.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Friday, 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Free Hours: Admission to the building and Grand Hall exhibition is free. Admission to the Sarofim Gallery is free for Asia Society members; $5 for nonmembers.
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking in Asia Society Texas Center's lot is $5 for 1-24 hours. Entrances on Caroline and Austin. Limited free and paid street parking also available.
Special Offers / Dining
Seating 40, the Jade Stone Café at Asia Society offers visitors an intimate place for sandwiches, salads, and sweets, plus free Wi-Fi service. For the menu and hours, please visit http://asiasociety.org/texas/visit/café.
Events at Asia Society Texas Center
Aug. 18 – Aug. 21, 2016
The Mystical Arts of Tibet Featuring the Tibetan Monks from Drepung Loseling Monastery
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world