Cinco De Mayo WonderWeek
Thursday, May. 4, 2017 – Wednesday, May. 10, 2017
On May 5, 1862, Mexico defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla. Today, the date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. Join the fiesta as the Children’s Museum of Houston celebrates this historic event through fun, hands-on activities and performances.
- Amate Painting: Create a painting inspired by the style of traditional Mexican folk art at Art Academy.
- Insect Impressions: Make an impression of an insect to take home with you at EcoStation.
- Lifecycle of a Grasshopper: Learn about the lifecycle of a grasshopper and the national arthropod of Mexico at EcoStation.
- Papel Picado Flag: Make your own papel picado flag in celebration of cinco de Mayo at Junktion.
- Flower Crown: Design your own paper flower crown in celebration of cinco de Mayo at Junktion.
- Maracas: Join the cinco de mayo celebration by making your own maracas at Junktion.
- Fitness Check - Peripheral Vision: Explore the physics of the camera obscura as you use the device to produce Mexican-themed artwork at Science Station.
- Self- Defeating Fan car: Design your own car with a fan in the front and learn how the Newtonian laws and forces are demonstrated at Maker Annex. Event time: Tues., Wed., and Friday 2-6 p.m. Thurs., 2-8 p.m., Sat., 12-4 p.m. and Sun., 12-6 p.m.
***Activities, events, and times subject to change.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world