Children’s Book Day
Saturday, May. 4, 2019 – Saturday, May. 4, 2019
Celebrate a millennium of literacy as we honor the longest-running literacy initiative in the country. Show your love for reading as you meet authors, write your own book and check out some good reads. All this and more as we celebrate reading!
Dress as a character from your favorite book and get $2 off admission and join in on the book character parade.
Event: May 4, 2019
- Author Visits: Listen to some great stories and even get a few autographs!
- Author Pete Moore: 11 a.m. to noon in the Parent Resource Library
- Author Cate Berry: 1 to 2 p.m. in the Parent Resource Library
- Author Carolyn Dee Flores: 3 to 4 p.m. in the Parent Resource Library
- Character Parade: Dress as your favorite character and join the fun as we represent our favorite books.
- Event time: Noon
- Be an Author Workshop: Practice your writing skills and write your own book.
- FlipBook Workshop: Grab a pencil and learn how you can become an illustrator.
- Library Card Sign-Up: Get your very own library card and let the books take you on adventures.
- PFLAG Houston: Check out how PFLAG helps Houston's LGBTQ community and their families through support, education and advocacy.
- Time: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. in Kids' Hall
- Montrose Grace Place: Learn how this organization helps homeless youth of all backgrounds.
- Time: 10 - 2 p.m. in Kids' Hall
- Color Resist Rainbows: Use mixed media to paint and color and beautiful rainbow and then top it off with cotton ball clouds in Art Academy.
- I Know the Rainbows: Look through the filter and see white light is a whole new way in EcoStation.
- The World is Waiting for You: Imagine the places you will go and the adventures you will have and add them to the wall in EcoStation.
- Woven Rainbow Fish: Swim along as you make your rainbow fish in Junktion.
- Rainbow Beaded Bracelet: Design your bracelet and show off your fun new accessories in Junktion.
- 3D Rainbow Heart Mobile: Make the colorful heart decorations to take home in Junktion.
- Roll a Rainbow: Grab the dice and take a chance to see if you can make this rainbow shine in Math Cart.
- Colored Shadows: Project a heart or make a dinosaur roar and you watch the colorful shadows tell a story in Science Station.
- Iron in Cereal: Grab your favorite breakfast food and test to see how much iron you're eating in Power Science Lab.
- Cabbage Chemistry: Watch as different liquids react to cabbage juice and test their pH levels of food we eat every day in Power Science Lab.
- Acid Levels in Juice: Grab your favorite juice and test its pH balance in Power Science Lab.
- DNA Extraction: Check out the makeup behind strawberries as you learn all about DNA in Power Science Lab.
- Micro-Mania!: Check how micro-controllers work and see how they are used to make awesome inventions in Inventor'sWorkshop.
- PVC Instruments: Cut the PVC pipes and jam out to the song they make in Inventor's Workshop.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world