CANCELED: The Story of You: Piecing Together Your Family History – Part 1
Saturday, Apr. 4, 2020 – Saturday, Apr. 4, 2020
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Join Holocaust Museum Houston (HMH) and the Greater Houston Jewish Genealogical Society (GHJGS) for a three-part series covering research and writing techniques to help craft the story of you. Sessions will cover research methods; source documents; regional history; and turning all that information into a shareable story. Create an engaging narrative that you can share with your family and friends.
In part one of this series, attendees will learn how to find and utilize the sources of information that document family histories. Led by the manager of Houston Public Library’s Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research, Susan Kaufman, this document based research session will be the foundation for the rest of the series. Attendees are encouraged to narrow the focus of their research to one person rather than searching for a whole family.
Register today for all three sessions or choose from individual sessions. Registration fees are $10 per session, $7 for HMH and GHJGS members.
After you register, your session leader will be reaching out via email with materials and information to help prepare for the workshop.
Things to bring:
- Completed pedigree chart recommended
- Family history documents (passenger lists, census, vital records, naturalizations, etc.)
- Notebook and pencils
- We also recommend creating a free familysearch account – www.familysearch.org
HOURS & ADMISSION
Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunday, noon - 5:00 pm
- General Admission: Members, children, students, and college-level students (with valid ID) receive free admission; $15 per person; $10 per person Active-Duty Military, Seniors 65+ and AARP members (with valid ID). Free Hours: Thursdays from 2:00-5:00 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Paid parking is available in the parking lot next to the Museum on the corner of Binz and Caroline St.
Events at Holocaust Museum Houston
Apr. 18 – Apr. 18, 2020
CANCELED: The Story of You: Piecing Together Your Family History – Part 2
Mar. 27 – Apr. 24, 2020
Programs & Activities
HMH – Online lessons, videos and virtual tours for educators, parents and students during virus shutdown
Apr. 3 – Apr. 30, 2020
VIRTUAL: Samuel Bak Gallery and Learning Center, In Loving Memory of Hope Silber Kaplan
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world