THE GREAT GOBBLER WONDERWEEK
Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018 – Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018
Gobble, gobble! The turkey is in town and trotting his way to the Children’s Museum of Houston for special events and interactive activities, including creating mosaics out of corn, learning how to grow a vegetable garden, designing our infamous turkey leg hats, drafting “thank you” leaves, making paper fan turkeys, and conducting acid/base reactions and using a popular Thanksgiving food, the cranberry!
- Nov. 15: Storybook Opera: Join Storybook Opera for a storytime filled with song as they read aloud Houston Grand Opera's The Armadillo's Dream.
- Event time and location: 6:00 and 6:30 p.m. in Brown Auditorium
- Nov. 17: Siempre Selena: Celebrate the legendary latina pop singer Selena at the Selena Tribute Show.
- Event time and location: 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. in Brown Auditorium
- Nov. 19: Turkey Pardon: Join Kids' Committee President Soha Sewani for the Museum's first-ever live turkey pardon!
- Event time and location: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Courtyard.
- Nov. 20: Turkey Jam: Take part in a series of hourly of competitions all during a dance party hosted by DJ Mr. Duke
- Event time and location: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Power Play Alcove
- Nov. 21: Thanksgiving Celebration: Stop by the Museum for a special performance by "Elves on a Shelf" and a visit from Santa!
- Event time and location: 2 to 5 p.m. in Brown Auditorium
- Nov. 23: Trim the Tree: Get in the holiday spirit as you make ornaments and decorations for your Christmas tree.
- Event time: All day
- Nov. 24: Pumpkin Plummet: Celebrate the grand finale of the Fall season with pumpkin smashing!
- Event time and location: 3 p.m. in the Courtayrd
WHAT'S NEW THIS WEEK?
- Corn Mosaics: Create a Thanksgiving mosaic out of colorful corn kernels in Alexander Art Academy.
- Grow Your Own Garden: Learn how to grow a vegetable garden at EcoStation.
- Compost Stew: Play a matching game to find out which items should get composted, recycled, and reused in EcoStation.
- Thank You Tree: Write a thank you leaf and place it on the Thank You Tree at Junktion.
- Great Gobbler Fan: It can still get hot in Houston in November, celebrate the season with a great gobbler fan at Junktion.
- Turkey Leg Hat: Make this hilarious turkey leg hat as you celebrate and give thanks at Junktion.
- Too Hot for Turkey Trot: Solve a turkey puzzle using pattern blocks in Math Cart.
- Cranberry Chemistry: Conduct an acid/base reaction and neutralization using a popular Thanksgiving food, the cranberry at Science Station.
- This Lab Rules: Think fast! Test your reaction time and learn the physiology behind our body movement in Power Science Lab.
- DNA Extraction: Extract and examine DNA found in strawberries at Power Science Lab.
- Cabbage Chemistry: Watch how the anthocyanin in cabbage juice changes colors from deep red to green depending on pH of the substance to which it is added at Power Science Lab.
- Starch Testing: Discover the role starch plays in your diet and test for its presence in different household items at Power Science Lab.
- Pipe Dreams: Dream up something extraodinary and build it using PVC pipes in Inventor's Workshop.
- Self-Defeating Fan Car: Construct a car that tries to move in two directions at once, then figure out how to make it move in Maker Annex.
*Activities, events and times subject to change.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum of Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum of Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum of Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world