The Face Reader (Gwansang)
Friday, Oct. 25, 2019 – Friday, Oct. 25, 2019
07:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Presented by Hyung Gil Kim, consulate general of the Republic of Korea in Houston
This costume drama—a Korean box-office smash—traces the rise and fall of a fortune-teller in the 18th century. The Face Reader gives entertaining exposition to the ancient art of physiognomy (face-reading), but it is the vicious court intrigue that shapes the film from maverick director Han Jae-rim.
Nae-gyeong (Song Kang-ho) reads people like an open book but remains blind to sea changes behind the corridors of power. No sooner has he moved to the capital city of Hanyang than he becomes a celebrity, entrusted by ailing King Moonjong (Kim Tae-woo) with discerning the faces of traitorous courtiers. However, Nae-gyeong is swept into a deadly power struggle between the country’s two most influential men: vice premier Kim Jong-seo (Baek Yun-shik) and the King’s brother, Prince Su-yang (Lee Jung-jae).
• “The Face Reader picked up six prizes at South Korea’s equivalent of the Oscars.” —Hollywood Reporter
• “The film boasts a number of attributes in terms of its technical achievements, from the gorgeous cinematography by Go Rak-sun that beautifully captures the era’s majestic colours to the elegant production and costume design by Lee Ha-jun and Shim Hyun-seob.” —Screen Daily
Tickets for The Face Reader (Gwansang)
Friday, October 25, 2019 7 p.m.
Looking for Film Buff or Member tickets?
If you are a current Film Buff or Museum Member, please sign in to access your free and discounted tickets.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Wednesday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday, 12:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Monday: Closed (Except Monday Holidays). Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- MFAH Members FREE
- Adults $15
- Seniors (65+ with ID) $10
- Military (with ID) $10
- College Students (19+ with ID) $7.50
- Youth (13–18) $7.50
- Children (12 & younger) FREE
- Certain special exhibitions are ticketed, with an additional charge.
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
Make visiting a snap! Visit mfah.org/parking for complete parking info, including a map you can download.
Two Parking Garages
Parking Garage HoursOpen daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Parking Garage Fees
- Parking payments may be made only with major credit cards, or with MasterCard and Visa debit cards.
- The first 30 minutes are always free. On Thursday, parking is free for visitors who enter the Museum between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- For hourly rates, go to mfah.org/parking
Special Offers / Dining
Paolo Fronza, from Fellini Caffè, runs this sophisticated dining operation. Enjoy an array of Italian-inspired fare with a Texas flair, a European-style coffee bar, a kids menu, and much more at the MFA Café, located on the lower level of the Beck Building.
Events at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Sunday Family Zone + Studio “Technology in Art: Exploring a Work by Nam June Paik”
Homeschool Family Workshop “Imperial Workshops: How External Influences Impacted the Art of an Empire”
Jan. 30 – Dec. 29, 2019
Arts of Islamic Lands: Selections from The al-Sabah Collection, Kuwait
Nov. 19 – Nov. 19, 2019
Conversations with the Director: Gary Tinterow Talks with Author Michael Shnayerson
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world