Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018 – Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018
09:00 PM – 10:30 PM
Mature Audiences Only
An edgy animated film for adult audiences, Tehran Taboo follows three strong-willed women and one young man who cross paths in Tehran while each pursues morally questionable activities.
From a prostitute whose young son waits nearby during her transactions, to a musician whose one-night stand has disturbing consequences, it is clear that breaking taboos can be a means of personal emancipation. As first-time director Ali Soozandeh explains, “Everyone sees these taboos, but no one talks about them. There is a huge silence at the center of the society that no one breaks. That was the big question I wanted to ask: Why do we all play along?” Tehran Taboo was the first animated feature in the prestigious Critics’ Week at the Cannes International Film Festival.
“A beautifully rotoscoped drama with intertwining stories set against the cognitively dissonant clash of Iran’s strict, theocratic society and the everyday realities of sex, drugs, and corruption.” —Michael Ordona, Los Angeles Times
“A spellbinding animated journey into the underbelly of Iranian society.” —E. Nina Rothe, The Huffington Post
“Visually striking. This wily account of 20-something Iranians negotiating an assault course of laws and prohibitions to get their kicks fizzes with energy and bad behavior.” —Wendy Ide, Screen International
“An audacious debut. Explores the highly charged theme of sexual and personal freedom in Iran without salaciousness.” —Deborah Young, The Hollywood Reporter
• Want to see more of the Iranian Film Festival? Rice Cinema and Asia Society Texas Center also host screenings.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Wednesday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday, 12:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Monday: Closed (Except Monday Holidays). Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- General Admission: MFAH Members-FREE Adult-$15 ($14 Online); Senior (65+) $10 ($9 Online); Youth (13-18) $7.50 ($6.50 Online); Child (12 & younger) FREE; Military (ID Required) $10; Student (ID Required) $7.50 Ticketed exhibitions require an additional admission charge. Free Hours: FREE THURSDAY 10 am - 9 pm
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
Make visiting a snap! Enlarge the map to see main-campus parking options, or download the PDF.
Parking update: A new underground parking garage, located on Montrose Boulevard, is now open!
- The outdoor parking lot on Bissonnet, across from the Law Building, is closed permanently.
- Parking is available in two garages: an above-ground garage at 1144 Binz Street, and a new underground garage at 5101 Montrose Blvd.
- Guests with limited mobility: We recommend that you use the covered drop-off lane at the Main Street entrance to the Beck Building, or use wheelchair-accessible parking in the garage at 1144 Binz Street.
Parking Garage Locations
- 1144 Binz Street
- 5101 Montrose Boulevard
Parking Fees*Parking payments may be made only with a major credit card. Also accepted: MasterCard and Visa debit cards.
MFAH Members Visitors 0–30 minutes FREE FREE 31 minutes–4 hours $6 $10 4–12 hours $10 $18 12–24 hours $35 $35
HoursBoth parking garages are open daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Special Offers / Dining
Paolo Fronza, from Fellini Caffè, runs this sophisticated dining operation. Enjoy an array of Italian-inspired fare with a Texas flair, a European-style coffee bar, a kids menu, and much more at the MFA Café, located on the lower level of the Beck Building.
Events at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Nov. 18 – Jul. 29, 2018
Extravagant Objects: Jewelry and Objets d’Art from the Masterson Collection
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world