Sensory Friendly Day
Monday, Feb. 20, 2017 – Monday, Feb. 20, 2017
10:00 AM – 03:00 PM
The Children’s Museum of Houston will host Sensory Friendly Day celebrating Curious About Chemistry WonderWeek. Sensory Friendly Day is an opportunity for kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and sensory processing differences to explore the Museum. Doors will be closed to the public. There will be no music and sound-reducing headphones will be available. Outside food and drinks will be allowed (Fresh Café will be closed).
- Sensory Friendly Music: Enjoy an engaging musical performance with hands-on specialists. Event Time: On-going beginning at 10 a.m. in Tree Top.
- Sensory Friendly Story Time: Immerse yourself in an interactive adventure with University of Houston Students American Sign Language Interpreters. Event Times: 10:15 and 11:15 a.m. at Parent Resource Library.
- BumbleBees: Enjoy a disability film featuring Vance Kaneel, who as a child was diagnosed with autism, cerebral palsy, and epilepsy. Film highlights as he ventures out on his first date. Event time: Ongoing at Brown Auditorium.
- Colorful Chemistry Creations: Create art made from cabbage juice at Alexander Art Academy.
- Natural vs. Synthetic: Examine fabrics under a microscope at EcoStation.
- Cardboard Carbon Atom: Explore the structure of an atom at Junktion.
- Polymer Paper Chain: Make the longest possible polymer paper chain at Junktion.
- Cotton Ball Estimation: Predict how many cotton balls are there at ExxonMobil Math Cart.
Admission is just $5 per person. Children under one and Museum Members receive free admission. To register, please contact Lydia Dungus at (713) 535-7238.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $5 2 hours - $6 3+ hours - $7 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum of Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum of Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Cafe, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with fresh salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily - all at low prices.
Events at Children’s Museum of Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world