Sci-Fi FX Science WonderWeek
Thursday, Jul. 20, 2017 – Thursday, Aug. 3, 2017
Ever wondered what was behind some of the best special effects in film and television? Come explore the real science of how technology can be used to alter reality during our Sci-Fi FX Science WonderWeek!
- Picture Mixture: Work as a production designer to create characters or settings that don't exist in this world. Create a surreal magazine collage of a character or place that is out of this world at Alexander Art Academy.
- Build a Firefly: Explore bioluminescence, one of the coolest special effects found in nature, as you create your own glow-in-the-dark firefly at Ecostation.
- Catch a Firefly: Race against another player to see who can catch the most "fireflies" in a fun and interactive board game at EcoStation.
- Acids in Juice: Jump into food science experiments by testing for acidity levels in different common beverages at Power Science Lab.
- Cabbage Chemistry: Discover the chemical reactants in cabbage juice by testing for pH levels and exploring how acidic and basic solutions react to produce variations in color at Power Science Lab.
- Buffers in Action: Uncover the function of "buffers" in chemical processes by conducting 3 different scientific experiments at Power Science Lab.
***Activities, events, and times subject to change.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $5 2 hours - $6 3+ hours - $7 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum of Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum of Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Cafe, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with fresh salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily - all at low prices.
Events at Children’s Museum of Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world