Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017 – Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017
Ron Mueck draws upon memories, reveries, and everyday experience as he portrays his subjects with extraordinary compassion. What makes his sculptures exceptional is the manner in which he balances realism with the unreal. Frequently spending more than a year conceiving and making each figure, Mueck captures every feature with astonishing detail. The naturalism of his work, however, is undercut by his calculated play with scale: Some figures fill a gallery, whereas others stand no more than three feet high.
“I never made life-size figures because it never seemed to be interesting,” Mueck explained in a rare interview in 2003. “We meet life-size people every day. [Altering the scale] makes you take notice in a way that you wouldn’t do with something that’s just normal.”
The son of German émigrés, Mueck was born in Australia in 1958. After working in film and television in the United States and London, he shifted his focus to the fine arts in the mid-1990s. The 13 sculptures assembled in this exhibition—about a third of Mueck’s entire production—encapsulate the arc of his career from 1999 to 2013. Often caught in moments of silent communication or slumber, these figures illustrate the artist’s ongoing investigation of the cycle of life, from the first moment of consciousness, to young love, to the various stages of maturity and aging, and ultimately to oblivion.
• Contemporary art often explores powerful issues. Parents may wish to view these works of art with, or in advance of, visiting with children.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Wednesday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday, 12:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Monday: Closed (Except Monday Holidays). Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- General Admission: MFAH Members-FREE Adult-$15 ($14 Online); Senior (65+) $10 ($9 Online); Youth (13-18) $7.50 ($6.50 Online); Child (12 & younger) FREE; Military (ID Required) $10; Student (ID Required) $7.50 Ticketed exhibitions require an additional admission charge. Free Hours: FREE THURSDAY 10 am - 9 pm
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
Make visiting a snap! Enlarge the map to see main-campus parking options, or download the PDF.
Parking update: A new underground parking garage, located on Montrose Boulevard, is now open!
- The outdoor parking lot on Bissonnet, across from the Law Building, is closed permanently.
- Parking is available in two garages: an above-ground garage at 1144 Binz Street, and a new underground garage at 5101 Montrose Blvd.
- Guests with limited mobility: We recommend that you use the covered drop-off lane at the Main Street entrance to the Beck Building, or use wheelchair-accessible parking in the garage at 1144 Binz Street.
Parking Garage Locations
- 1144 Binz Street
- 5101 Montrose Boulevard
Parking Fees*Parking payments may be made only with a major credit card. Also accepted: MasterCard and Visa debit cards.
MFAH Members Visitors 0–30 minutes FREE FREE 31 minutes–4 hours $6 $10 4–12 hours $10 $18 12–24 hours $35 $35
HoursBoth parking garages are open daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Special Offers / Dining
Paolo Fronza, from Fellini Caffè, runs this sophisticated dining operation. Enjoy an array of Italian-inspired fare with a Texas flair, a European-style coffee bar, a kids menu, and much more at the MFA Café, located on the lower level of the Beck Building.
Events at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Mar. 11 – Jun. 10, 2018
Michelangelo and the Vatican: Masterworks from the Museo e Real Bosco di Capodimonte, Naples
Nov. 18 – Jul. 29, 2018
Extravagant Objects: Jewelry and Objets d’Art from the Masterson Collection
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world