MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. DAY
Monday, Jan. 20, 2020 – Monday, Jan. 20, 2020
SPECIAL EVENT $5 GENERAL ADMISSION
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. dreamed for us to live in a world where we would “not be judged by the color of [our] skin, but by the content of [our] character.” Join the Children’s Museum of Houston in honoring civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and his legacy during our 24th Annual MLK Day Celebration. Sing African American spirituals. Listen to uplifting, winning words by Gardere’s oratory speech winner. March down Kid’s Hall in celebration of civil rights during our peace rally. Listen to “I Have a Dream,” the speech that changed the course of history.
Event time: Jan. 20, 2020
SPECIAL EVENTS: (Beginning at Noon in the Brown Auditorium)
- Ebony Opera Guild: Uplift your spirits with African American spirituals.
- Gardere Oratory Speech Recital: Listen to inspiring, triumphant words by this year’s winner at Brown Auditorium.
- Peace March Led by Kid's Committee: Exercise your right in celebration of Civil Rights.
- Event time and location: 12:30 p.m. in Kids' Hall Alcove
- “I Have a Dream Speech”: Listen in awe as orator Donovan Harris will recite the speech that changed history at Kids' Hall Alcove.
- Performnace by Dr. Kianna Williams: Assistant Professor of Music at TSU performs a medley of gospel and opera in Kids' Hall Alcove.
- Providence Jazz Ensemble: This middle and high school ensemble will pay tribute to MLK with selections such as "Amazing Grace" and "We Shall Overcome" and close with the "Negro National Anthem".
- Event time and location: 1 p.m. in Brown Auditorium
- Martin's Big Words: Watch the movie chronicling Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy in civil rights.
- Event time and location: 2:30, 3:30, 4:30 p.m. in Brown Auditorium
***Activities, events and times subject to change.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY
State Rep. Garnet Coleman (D)
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world