LUNAR NEW YEAR WONDERWEEK
Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020 – Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2020
The Children's Museum of Houston will howl at the moon for this year’s Lunar New Year WonderWeek celebrating the Year of the Rat. Become immersed as we celebrate interactive activities, including making full moon silhouettes, designing fire lanterns and much more!
WHAT'S NEW THIS WEEK?
- Full Moon Silhouettes: Use your imagination to create a unique silhouette against a full moon background in Alexander Art Academy.
- Phases of the Moon: Make a homemade book and flip through it to see the movement of the moon in Ecostation.
- The Earth and Moon's Rotation: Take a journey into outer space as you find out how the moon rotates around the earth and sun EcoStation.
- Dragon Fire Lanterns: Light up your Lunar New Year with a fire lantern at Junktion.
- Chinese Character Banner: Celebrate the year of the Rat when you create your own lucky Chinese Character Banner at Junktion.
- Dragon Puppet: Kick off Lunar New Year with a bang and create your very own fiery dragon puppet at Junktion.
- Chopsticks Game: Challenge your friends to see how many pom poms you can grab with your chopsticks at Math Cart.
- Lucky Money: Look at the Chinese number chart and match the correct amount of currency into each envelope at Math Cart.
- Intertia Challenge: folder empty
- Magnet Float: Use your mastery of magnetism to defy gravity in Science Station.
- New Year, New Money!: Using acid and salt come learn how to transform old grimy pennies into shiny ones to gift for Lunar New Year at Science Station.
- Iron in Cereal: Test iron in common cereal brands and learn about the importance of iron in the human body in Power Science Lab.
- Testing for Reducing Sugars: Use Benedict's Solution to test for reducing sugar in food in Power Science Lab.
- Starch Testing: Discover the importance of starch in your diet and test for it in common household items in Power Science Lab.
- Carbohydrate Digestion: Learn about the enzyme Amalyse and learn how it breaks down starch in Power Science Lab.
- Motorized Car: Engineer fan blades and build a motorized fan-powered car in Inventor's Workshop & Maker Annex.
- Things That Fly: Become an engineer and build one of three differnt moving machines in Inventor's Workshop & Maker Annex.
***Activities, events and times subject to change.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world