Lunar New Year WonderWeek
Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018 – Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018
The Children's Museum of Houston will howl at the moon for this year’s Lunar New Year WonderWeek celebrating the Year of the Dog. Become immersed as we celebrate interactive activities, including making Cherry Blossom Trees, designing fire lanterns and much more!
- Plum Blossom Trees: Create your unique Plum blossom tree to decorate your home for Lunar New Year at Alexander Art Academy.
- Lunar Viewfinder: Howl at the moon when you create your own moon viewfinder at EcoStation.
- The Earth and Moon's Rotation: Take a journey into outer space as you find out how the moon rotates around the earth and sun EcoStation.
- Dragon Fire Lanterns: Light up your Lunar New Year with a fire lantern at Junktion.
- Chinese Character Banner: Celebrate the year of the Rooster when you create your own lucky Chinese Character Banner at Junktion.
- Dragon Puppets: Kick off Lunar New Year with a bang and create your very own fiery dragon puppet at Junktion.
- Chopsticks Game: Challenge your friends to see how many pom poms you can grab with your chopsticks at Math Cart.
- New Year, New Money!: Using acid and salt come learn how to transform old grimy pennies into shiny ones to gift for Lunar New Year at Power Science Lab.
- Starch Testing: Explore how to test for starch in household foods and learn how starch plays an important role in the human body at Power Science Lab.
- Neutralization Reaction: Upset Stomach? Discover how your body's digestive system works at Power Science Lab.
- Acid Levels in Juice: Strap on your lab goggles and find out how to test the liquid in a cabbage for pH levels at Power Science Lab.
- Strawberry DNA Extraction: Come experiment with us and learn about the building blocks of life and DNA extraction at Power Science Lab.
- Coding Creations: Code your own Google logo, Star Wars Galaxy or Minecraft game using MIT scratch code software and block programming at Investors' Workshop.
- Laser Cut Valentines: Share the love and create a valentine with a simple circuit at Chevron-Houston Texans Maker Annex.
***Activities, events and times subject to change.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world