Houston Grand Opera Presents “The Arts of Intimacy”
Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020 – Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020
06:30 PM – 07:30 PM
As part of its “Seeking the Human Spirit” initiative, Houston Grand Opera presents an evening of lecture, poetry, art, and music. This multidisciplinary event reflects the crossroads of culture, identity, and faith in 14th-century Spain.
“The Arts of Intimacy” draws inspiration from HGO’s production of La favorite and the book The Arts of Intimacy: Christians, Jews, and Muslims in the Making of Castilian Culture. The opera focuses on a love triangle among a noblewoman, king, and warrior—which unfolds amidst the Arab occupation of 14th-century Iberia and the power struggles between church and state.
• Maya Soifir-Irish, Rice University professor, on interfaith relations of the period
• Tamara Al-Qaisi-Coleman, writer and artist
• Leslie Contreras Schwartz, Houston poet laureate
• Kyle Comer, musician (guitar)
• Michael Fares, musician (oud)
• Chabrelle Williams, soprano
Drop in! This event is free. On Thursdays, Museum general admission is free, courtesy of Shell Oil Company. Seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
About “Seeking the Human Spirit”
This six-year (2017–23), multidisciplinary initiative is designed to highlight the universal spiritual themes raised in opera and to expand and deepen Houstonians’ connections to opera and to art. The 2019–20 season focuses on the theme “Identity.”
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Wednesday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday, 12:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Monday: Closed (Except Monday Holidays). Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- MFAH Members FREE
- Adults $15
- Seniors (65+ with ID) $10
- Military (with ID) $10
- College Students (19+ with ID) $7.50
- Youth (13–18) $7.50
- Children (12 & younger) FREE
- Certain special exhibitions are ticketed, with an additional charge.
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
Make visiting a snap! Visit mfah.org/parking for complete parking info, including a map you can download.
Two Parking Garages
Parking Garage HoursOpen daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Parking Garage Fees
- Parking payments may be made only with major credit cards, or with MasterCard and Visa debit cards.
- The first 30 minutes are always free. On Thursday, parking is free for visitors who enter the Museum between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- For hourly rates, go to mfah.org/parking
Special Offers / Dining
Paolo Fronza, from Fellini Caffè, runs this sophisticated dining operation. Enjoy an array of Italian-inspired fare with a Texas flair, a European-style coffee bar, a kids menu, and much more at the MFA Café, located on the lower level of the Beck Building.
Events at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Feb. 17 – Feb. 17, 2018
“Learning Through Art” K–8 Educator Seminar: Tips, Tricks & Techniques to Teach TEKS
Feb. 14 – Apr. 26, 2020
Radical: Italian Design 1965–1985, The Dennis Freedman Collection
Mar. 1 – May. 25, 2020
Glory of Spain: Treasures from the Hispanic Society Museum & Library
Mar. 1 – Mar. 1, 2020
Opening Lecture “Glory of Spain: Treasures from the Hispanic Society Museum & Library”
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world