General Development and Autism Screening
Thursday, Apr. 21, 2016
05:00 PM – 07:00 PM
UT Health LoneStar Program is offering free general development and autism screenings for the first 100 children. This is a not a diagnosis, but screening for early identification for children 5 months to 5 years.
April is National Autism Awareness Month and represents an excellent opportunity to promote autism awareness, autism acceptance and to draw attention to the tens of thousands facing an autism diagnosis each year.
According to Autism Speaks, Autism now affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys.
In addition, autism prevalence figures are growing and it is one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders in the U.S. It is nearly costing families $60,000 a year on average. In most cases, boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism. Unfortunately, there is no medical detection or cure for autism.
About the Programs & Activities
- Information booths will be on-site to answer any questions or concerns.
- For more information, contact Zulma Morales, Alexander Specialist for Early Literacy Development and Special Learning Needs, at 713.535.7268.
- Registration is not required.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $5 2 hours - $6 3+ hours - $7 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum of Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum of Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Cafe, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with fresh salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily - all at low prices.
Events at Children’s Museum of Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world