Geek Out! WonderWeek
Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2016 – Monday, Apr. 4, 2016
Kids can geek out at the Children's Museum of Houston! The tiny world of nanotechnology will be booming with excitement and bustle during Geek Out! WonderWeek, March 29 – April 4, 2016. Guests can discover the secret to these tiny bits of science and the enormous impact they have in technology! This WonderWeek is part of a nationwide festival of programs exploring nanoscale science, matter and engineering. Kids can check out the Matter Factory exhibit where they'll learn all about materials science and nano technology.
About the Programs & Activities
STEM Mentoring Café: Students in grades 5th – 8th will engage in small group interactions with STEM professionals in this round-robin style event. Pre-registration is required. Space is limited to 60 students on a first come basis. Learn more!
Event time: 10 am - Noon in Duncan Family Conference Room, April 2
STEM Demonstrations: Happening at various locations on the museum floor.
Event time: 10 am - Noon, April 2
Attack of the Nano-Scientist Production
Event time: 1:30 pm in Brown Auditorium, April 2
Meet the Scientist: Curious visitors and their families can engage in one-on-one interactions with real scientists, researchers, and engineers from Houston!
Event time: 1:45 pm - 3:30 pm. in Brown Auditorium and on select museum floor locations, April 2
Carbon Nanotube Building: Contribute to the ever-growing model of our Carbon Nanotube! Learn about the significance of this extremely small molecular structure!
Event time: All Day in Kids’ Hall Alcove, April 2
- Stained Glass Windows: Nano sized gold particles were used to make stained glass windows in medieval times. Create your own mini stained glass window at Alexander Art Academy.
- Exploring Butterfly Structures: Explore the wings of the blue morpho butterfly to learn how nano occurs in nature at EcoStation.
- The Lotus Effect: See how plants that repel water have inspired inventions using nanotechnology at EcoStation!
- 3D Glasses: Did you know 3D glasses technology involves Nano? Make some at Junktion.
- Nano Scientist ID Badges: Play the Nano scientist part by gearing up at Junktion.
- Build a Giant Puzzle!: Assemble large cubes to make Nano related images at Junktion.
- Memory Game: Macro, micro and nano. Play a classic game of “memory” with a nano twist at the ExxonMobil Math Cart.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world