Saturday, Sep. 12, 2015
On September 15, 1810, Father Miguel Hidalgo climbed atop a church and encouraged people to fight for Mexico’s independence. This “cry” for liberty marks the anniversary of Mexico’s “Grito de Dolores” and it’s celebrated with music, fireworks and parades.
Guests are invited to join the Children’s Museum of Houston and the Consulate General of Mexico in Houston to commemorate Mexico’s fight for freedom.
About the Programs & Activities
Spotlight Performance – Mariachi: Enjoy the dynamic sounds of a Mexican celebration! 3 pm in Brown Auditorium.
Grito Reenactment: Watch as we reenact the “Grito de Dolores”— the cry for Mexico’s independence. 3:15 pm following Mariachi in Brown Auditorium.
Spotlight Performance – Ballet Folklórico Las Américas: Take delight with this vibrant dance of Mexico! 3:30 pm following Grito reenactment in Brown Auditorium.
“The Pot That Juan Built” – Movie: Check out a flick that celebrates Mexico through its crafts. 10:30, 11:30 am, 12:30, and 4:30 pm in Brown Auditorium.
* Talavera Tiles: Design a beautiful talavera pattern at the Alexander Art Academy.
* Papel Picado Flag: Use papel picado to design an independence flag in Junktion.
* Toma Todo: Experience a game of chance with a “twist” at the ExxonMobil Math Cart.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world