Family Art Activity: Foil Engraving with Rienzi
Wednesday, May. 6, 2020 – Sunday, May. 31, 2020
Families, get ready for a special art activity with Ryan Hernandez, the learning & interpretation coordinator at Rienzi. Artists of all ages can make a foil engraving just like the work of skillful silversmiths! Check out the how-to video and instructions below.
The collection at Rienzi, the MFAH house museum for European decorative arts, showcases an array of artists’ techniques, including excellent examples of engraved silver.
One highlight is Paul de Lamerie’s Ewer, which features an intricately engraved armorial design with eagles, a crown, fish scales, leaves, and shells. Get inspired by the art at Rienzi, then share your work of art using #MFAHatHome on Instagram and Twitter.
• Dull pencil
• Glue or glue stick
• Aluminum foil
Instructions (follow along with the video)
1) Trace the cardboard piece onto paper to create your drawing, then cut into its lines.
2) Apply glue to one side of your cardboard and lay the foil with the shiny side facing up. Fold excess foil over the back of the cardboard and tape down as needed. Gently smooth out the surface as much as possible.
3) Take your drawing with the sketch facing up and tape down the top edge to the cardboard so it won’t move once you start tracing.
4) Trace your image onto the foil using a dull pencil. Don’t press too hard, or you might tear the foil.
5) Remove the sketch and retrace the drawing directly on the foil to smooth out lines and create more dimension.
6) Share your engraving! Use #MFAHatHome on social media.
► Learn more about Rienzi and the Rienzi Collection
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Wednesday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday, 12:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Monday: Closed (Except Monday Holidays). Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- MFAH Members FREE
- Adults $15
- Seniors (65+ with ID) $10
- Military (with ID) $10
- College Students (19+ with ID) $7.50
- Youth (13–18) $7.50
- Children (12 & younger) FREE
- Certain special exhibitions are ticketed, with an additional charge.
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
Make visiting a snap! Visit mfah.org/parking for complete parking info, including a map you can download.
Two Parking Garages
Parking Garage HoursOpen daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Parking Garage Fees
- Parking payments may be made only with major credit cards, or with MasterCard and Visa debit cards.
- The first 30 minutes are always free. On Thursday, parking is free for visitors who enter the Museum between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- For hourly rates, go to mfah.org/parking
Special Offers / Dining
Paolo Fronza, from Fellini Caffè, runs this sophisticated dining operation. Enjoy an array of Italian-inspired fare with a Texas flair, a European-style coffee bar, a kids menu, and much more at the MFA Café, located on the lower level of the Beck Building.
Events at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world