Explore Abilities Day
Monday, Apr. 23, 2018 – Monday, Apr. 23, 2018
The Children’s Museum of Houston will host Explore Abilities Day, an opportunity for kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and sensory processing differences to explore the Museum. We have a host of activities for both caregivers and kids, including a dance workshop with the Houston Ballet, story times, therapy dogs and much more! Doors will be closed to the public. There will be no music and sound-reducing headphones will be available. Outside food and drinks will be allowed (Fresh Café will be closed).
- Success on the Spectrum: Daisy Rios will lead four social thinking story times.
- Event Time: 10:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. in Parent Resource Library
- Houston Ballet’s Creative Movement: Teaching artist Katey Tidwell will help you dance and move through focus and balance exercises.
- Event Time: 10 a.m. to noon in New Kids’ Hall
- Lighthouse Learning Resources: We have a host of activities for both caregivers and children.
- Event Time: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in PowerPlay Alcove
- Faithful Paws: Six therapy dogs will be at the Museum to interact with kids.
- Event Time: 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Tree Top
- A.D. Players Performing Arts Academy: Students from The Monarch School "Variety Show Acts" will perform songs, music, dance and stand-up comedy.
- Event Time:11 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. at Brown Auditorium.
This exclusive event includes the following modifications:
- Doors will be closed to the public
- Less crowded environment free from unnecessary distractions
- No music will be playing on the overhead audio systems
- Extra visual signage for safety
- Specialists on hand for consultation and extra fun activities
- Sound reducing headphones, ear defenders and sunglasses available on loan
- Designated quiet rooms will be available
- Families are allowed to bring in outside food and drinks (Fresh Café will be closed)
Admission is just $5, and FREE for members! To register, please contact Lydia Dungus at (713) 535-7238.
Media Note: There is a possibility news outlets will attend and photograph this event.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday, Noon - 6:00 pm
Open Monday during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Summer: Open Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- General Admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older. FREE for children under one and Museum Members. Free Hours: FREE FAMILY NIGHT: Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm.
Directions & Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking fees: 1 hour - $7 2 hours - $8 3+ hours - $9 Metered and street parking are available around the Children's Museum of Houston.
Special Offers / Dining
The Children's Museum of Houston's spacious eatery, Fresh Café, offers nutritious eats and treats for any time of day! Enjoy a healthy meal with savory salads, preservative-free sandwich bread and vegetarian options prepared daily – fresh off the grill!
Events at Children’s Museum of Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world