Exclusive Tour “Colors of the Oasis: Central Asian Ikats”
Monday, May. 15, 2017 – Monday, May. 15, 2017
• $55 Museum members
• $65 Nonmembers
Secure your spot in advance! Get online tickets, or visit any MFAH admissions desk.
Colors of the Oasis: Central Asian Ikats showcases nearly 50 ikat robes and panels from the renowned Murad Megalli Collection of the Textile Museum in Washington D.C. The textiles were originally produced in the 1800s in weaving centers across Uzbekistan, including Bukhara, Samarkand, and the Fergana Valley. Mainstays of the cosmopolitan oasis cultures of this region, these dazzling, bold garments feature eye-catching designs, and were worn by people of different classes in a variety of settings: crowded marketplaces, private homes, centers of worship, and ritual spaces.
Join a private tour of Colors of the Oasis: Central Asian Ikats and learn more about the social, historical, and economic aspects of ikat production; the labor-intensive process of dyeing and weaving; and the distinctive aesthetics of Central Asian designs and colors.
• The 1:30 pm tour is led by Janet O’Brien, curatorial assistant, art of the Islamic worlds, and an integral part of the curatorial team which installed the exhibition
• The 6:30 pm tour is led by Aimée Froom, curator, art of the Islamic worlds
About Exclusive Tours
Exclusive Tours offer access to select Museum exhibitions on special Mondays when the Museum is closed to the public. In these lively, in-depth walking tours, Museum experts share their expansive knowledge about the featured exhibition. After the tour, discuss your experience over a glass of sparkling wine.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Wednesday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday, 12:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Monday: Closed (Except Monday Holidays). Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- General Admission: MFAH Members-FREE Adult-$15 ($14 Online); Senior (65+) $10 ($9 Online); Youth (13-18) $7.50 ($6.50 Online); Child (12 & younger) FREE; Military (ID Required) $10; Student (ID Required) $7.50 Ticketed exhibitions require an additional admission charge. Free Hours: FREE THURSDAY 10 am - 9 pm
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
Make visiting a snap! Enlarge the map to see main-campus parking options, or download the PDF.
Parking update: A new underground parking garage, located on Montrose Boulevard, is now open!
- The outdoor parking lot on Bissonnet, across from the Law Building, is closed permanently.
- Parking is available in two garages: an above-ground garage at 1144 Binz Street, and a new underground garage at 5101 Montrose Blvd.
- Guests with limited mobility: We recommend that you use the covered drop-off lane at the Main Street entrance to the Beck Building, or use wheelchair-accessible parking in the garage at 1144 Binz Street.
Parking Garage Locations
- 1144 Binz Street
- 5101 Montrose Boulevard
Parking Fees*Parking payments may be made only with a major credit card. Also accepted: MasterCard and Visa debit cards.
MFAH Members Visitors 0–30 minutes FREE FREE 31 minutes–4 hours $6 $10 4–12 hours $10 $18 12–24 hours $35 $35
HoursBoth parking garages are open daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Special Offers / Dining
Paolo Fronza, from Fellini Caffè, runs this sophisticated dining operation. Enjoy an array of Italian-inspired fare with a Texas flair, a European-style coffee bar, a kids menu, and much more at the MFA Café, located on the lower level of the Beck Building.
Events at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Oct. 21 – Apr. 29, 2018
The Design Reformation in Europe, 1845–1915: Selections from the Museum’s Collection
Nov. 30 – May. 13, 2018
Reflection and Enlightenment: Chinese Buddhist Gilt Bronzes from the Jane and Leopold Swergold Collection
Mar. 11 – Jun. 10, 2018
Michelangelo and the Vatican: Masterworks from the Museo e Real Bosco di Capodimonte, Naples
Nov. 18 – Jul. 29, 2018
Extravagant Objects: Jewelry and Objets d’Art from the Masterson Collection
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world