Christ Stopped at Eboli (Cristo si è fermato a Eboli)
Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019 – Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019
05:00 PM – 08:45 PM
Complete, uncut version
In 1935, Carlo Levi (1902–1975), a painter, writer, doctor, and political-dissident intellectual, was exiled by the Fascists to a remote and impoverished town in southern Italy. Christ Stopped at Eboli—filmmaker Francesco Rosi’s epic 1979 treatment, screening in its complete version for the first time—reveals how Levi found humanity in a town with one car and one toilet, and with Christianity existing side by side with magic spells and evil spirits.
Gian Maria Volontè (Investigation of a Citizen above Suspicion; Le Cercle Rouge) stars with Lea Massari (L'Avventura; Murmur of the Heart) and Irene Papas (The Guns of Navarone; Zorba the Greek).
The previously scheduled November 30th screening of the film has been cancelled.
• “A triumphant cinematic adaptation ... both faithful and inspired. Audiences can savor its earthy and transcendent glory in its full 220-minute running time, in a print restored to its pungent, moody luster.” —Film Comment
• “I was completely absorbed. The audience seemed hushed, as if at a concert where the musicians were playing very softly.” —film critic Pauline Kael
“An absorbing and sometimes stunningly beautiful movie with an impressive sense of historical detail and social insight.” —film critic/author David Sterritt
Tickets for Christ Stopped at Eboli (Cristo si è fermato a Eboli)
Saturday, November 9, 2019 5 p.m.
Looking for Film Buff or Member tickets?
If you are a current Film Buff or Museum Member, please sign in to access your free and discounted tickets.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Wednesday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday, 12:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Monday: Closed (Except Monday Holidays). Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- MFAH Members FREE
- Adults $15
- Seniors (65+ with ID) $10
- Military (with ID) $10
- College Students (19+ with ID) $7.50
- Youth (13–18) $7.50
- Children (12 & younger) FREE
- Certain special exhibitions are ticketed, with an additional charge.
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
Make visiting a snap! Visit mfah.org/parking for complete parking info, including a map you can download.
Two Parking Garages
Parking Garage HoursOpen daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Parking Garage Fees
- Parking payments may be made only with major credit cards, or with MasterCard and Visa debit cards.
- The first 30 minutes are always free. On Thursday, parking is free for visitors who enter the Museum between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- For hourly rates, go to mfah.org/parking
Special Offers / Dining
Paolo Fronza, from Fellini Caffè, runs this sophisticated dining operation. Enjoy an array of Italian-inspired fare with a Texas flair, a European-style coffee bar, a kids menu, and much more at the MFA Café, located on the lower level of the Beck Building.
Events at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world