Saturday, Jun. 8, 2019 – Saturday, Jun. 8, 2019
03:00 PM – 04:00 PM
Join Asia Society Texas Center for a docent-led tour of the Super Sarap exhibition.
About Super Sarap
In this exhibition, artists Mik Gaspay, Jeanne F. Jalandoni, Charlene Tan, and O.M. France Viana revisit commonplace objects and food within Filipino cooking. Through sculpture, photography, and video, the artists elicit personal and collective memories and offer cultural connections that go beyond the Philippine diaspora.
The exhibition title, Super Sarap, fuses both English and Tagalog together, to hold multiple meanings. It can convey something that is extremely delicious, an expression of excitement and affirmation. It can also imply an exaggeration in terms of scale: something that is beyond, powerful, large, and exceeding the norm. In Super Sarap, the artists play with these definitions and mutate symbols, making them both strange and familiar, challenging cultural norms associated with food.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your tour. Groups arriving more than 15 minutes prior to scheduled start time should remain in our Grand Hall until tour staff and docents are ready. Latecomers may join the tour in progress.
- Tours last approximately 60 minutes and involve a minimal amount of walking. Wheelchair access is available throughout the building.
- Photography without flash is permitted for all current exhibitions.
Additional Tour Dates
Education and outreach programs at Asia Society Texas Center are made possible through generous funding from Karen Chang and the George and Mary Josephine Hamman Foundation. Additional support provided by the Friends of Asia Society, a premier group of individuals and organizations committed to bringing exceptional programming and exhibitions to Asia Society Texas Center.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Friday, 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Free for Members, $8 Nonmembers
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking in Asia Society Texas Center's lot is $5 for 1-24 hours. Entrances on Caroline and Austin. Limited free and paid street parking also available.
Special Offers / Dining
An India-Inspired Café
Enjoy breakfast and lunch at Pondi! Pondicheri's museum café is open for extended lunch hours Tuesday through Sunday with a vibrant and innovative menu featuring everything from butter chicken to saffron shrimp salad and roti wraps.
Tuesday – Friday, 11 am – 5 pm
Saturday – Sunday, 10 am – 5 pm
Events at Asia Society Texas Center
May. 30 – May. 30, 2019
From Japanese Internment to “Travel Bans”: A Discussion and Film Screening of “And Then They Came for Us”
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world