Saturday, Mar. 9, 2019 – Saturday, Mar. 9, 2019
03:00 PM – 04:00 PM
Join Asia Society Texas Center for a docent-led tour of the New Cartographies exhibition.
About New Cartographies
Maps have been at the center of cultural and political exchange between Asia and the West for centuries, supplying an orientation to unfamiliar environments, an ability to communicate about foreign lands to a domestic audience, and in some instances a taxonomy that gave mapmakers a sense of control and order. Maps continue to define and help navigate diverse geographies, both in analog and digital modes.
Opening in fall 2018, New Cartographies delves into the unique ways that contemporary artists are incorporating cartography into their practices as they look at globally relevant topics such as urbanization, economic migration, environmental change, refugee movements, and the persistence of colonial legacies.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your tour. Groups arriving more than 15 minutes prior to scheduled start time should remain in our Grand Hall until tour staff and docents are ready. Latecomers may join the tour in progress.
- Tours last approximately 60 minutes and involve a minimal amount of walking. Wheelchair access is available throughout the building.
- Photography without flash is permitted for all current exhibitions.
Additional Tour Dates
Education and outreach programs at Asia Society Texas Center are made possible through generous funding from Karen Chang and the George and Mary Josephine Hamman Foundation. Additional support provided by the Friends of Asia Society, a premier group of individuals and organizations committed to bringing exceptional programming and exhibitions to Asia Society Texas Center.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Tuesday - Friday, 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Free for Members, $8 Nonmembers
Directions & Parking
- Free Parking
- Paid Parking
- Street Parking
- Parking in Asia Society Texas Center's lot is $5 for 1-24 hours. Entrances on Caroline and Austin. Limited free and paid street parking also available.
Special Offers / Dining
An India-Inspired Café
Enjoy breakfast and lunch at Pondi! Pondicheri's museum café is open for extended lunch hours Tuesday through Sunday with a vibrant and innovative menu featuring everything from butter chicken to saffron shrimp salad and roti wraps.
Tuesday – Friday, 11 am – 5 pm
Saturday – Sunday, 10 am – 5 pm
Events at Asia Society Texas Center
Feb. 25 – Feb. 25, 2019
Trilateral Japan, U.S., and Israel Advancements in Artificial Intelligence for the Aging and Healthcare: A Dialogue with Industry and Academic Experts
Mar. 8 – Mar. 8, 2019
Programs & Activities
Sören Urbansky on “Yellow Perils: China Narratives in the Contemporary World”
Mar. 20 – Mar. 20, 2019
U.S. Foreign Policy in the Middle East with Ambassador Ryan Crocker
Within Walking Distance
Join the Houston Museum District
Join our mailing list for sneak peeks to upcoming events and insider information on the best museum district in the world